Monday 18 April 2011

A Visitor

Today I met someone new.

Ok, not an earth-shattering statement but for someone who rarely ventures outside, meeting someone new is quite an occurrence.  In fact, it's such a significant event that I am writing about it on my blog!  How's that for special!!

What makes it more interesting is that my visitor was a priest.  In fact, he probably still is a priest, but as he is no longer here, I can't guarantee that.  Maybe after visiting me he has given up on being a man of the cloth and has turned to alcohol!!  Joking aside, a priest in my house is a special occasion.  I thought it might be for my last rites, but he just wanted to chat and get to know me.  It was a very enjoyable visit.

So what, you may say.  Big deal.

Maybe you are right, but for me it was a big deal and quite significant.

Today has not been a particularly good day for me.  I wont bore you with the details, needless to say, I wasn't dancing any jigs or doing cartwheels.  When my priestly visitor arrived, I was nearly catatonic and less than enthusiastic.  I did wonder if he would be trying to convert me or maybe even recruiting me into the priesthood as I retire from the Army in fifteen days.  I was wrong on all counts.  This man, this priest, who had never met me before, just wanted to give me some company; to chat if I wanted to or just sit in silence if I wanted that.

It was an hour or so that ended too soon.

A person I had never met before and knew nothing about me, sat and chatted with me.  We chatted, we had a laugh and I even had a cry.  I wasn't uncomfortable in this man's company, I didn't feel any pressure or feel that I had to be something that I wasn't.  Our conversation covered a myriad of topics and we discovered that we had several things in common.  Before anyone suggests that this is the beginning of some sort of Bromance, let me reassure you it is nothing of the sort.  I am not his type and he is married, anyway!

Everyone has their own view of the world, the people and the societies that inhabit it.  I have never really believed in man being selfless and caring but recently I have experienced numerous events that disprove my views.  I have read about the experiences of an extraordinary woman, seen the selfless generosity of a people beset by austerity and met people who have taken the time and effort in order to make me feel a little better.  All my preconceptions have been turned upside down and my opinion of the human race has improved.

It's enlightening to know that there are countless, selfless people out there that endeavour to make life a little better for others.  It can be the smallest of gestures or just giving time to help.  It doesn't really matter what it is, the point is that they do it without asking for any reward.  It's just a shame that these people are scarce and outnumbered by those that only care for themselves.  If only we all could give a little time or effort to help others then the world would be a much happier place; a safer place.  If only one generation of man learnt to be a little more selfless then our children would learn from us.

Ooops, I just started wandering off and being philosophical and stuff.  Sorry.

Anyway, back to my visitor.  He, probably intentionally (you just don't know with those priest types!), made me feel a little better and thereby made me kick myself out of my stupor.  I'm still not going to be able to do a jig or anything as dynamic as that, but I'll imagine that I am doing one - it's the best I can do at the moment!  I am going to read his blog (apparently they don't just preach but can write as well!).  I've added a link so if any of you are interested, you can have a quick read too.

I am looking forward to his next visit and next time I am going to be more lucid so I can have a theological discussion on Darwinism or something.  Or, I could just offer him a coffee and chat about the weather.  Or maybe puppies.  Who knows!

No comments:

Post a Comment